About Me

My photo
I had plans for a super-awesome summer internship involving Middle East policy. Those plans went kaput, but I've decided to do what I'd be doing anyway, for personal edification and satisfaction. And fame, obviously.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Outline for Le Papier

As discussed in last week's post, my semester paper will be divided broadly into two sections: 1) Economic hardships faced by non-profit and community-based organizations (especially in the last decade) and 2) Best practices/responses to those difficulties.
I. Economic hardships
1. Decreased availability of federal/state government funds
2. Increased competition for those funds
3. Decreased availability of private/foundation funds
4. Loss of value of investments
5. Increasing demand for services
6. More to come as I continue researching

II. Best practices in response to difficulties from part I
1. Overcoming problems at the organization's level
a. "wishful thinking" and money "taboo"
b. Planning for the future
c. More to come as I continue researching
2. Overcoming problems at the systemic level
a. Engaging actively in government
b. More to come as I continue researching

The text I am currently working though is Reliable Fundraising in Unreliable Times, a 2009 book by Kim Klein. As I finish I will post my notes.

1 comment:

  1. LR>>A little something to consider...

    Is there a difference between charity, philanthropy, community activism/advocacy/organizing? If so, any implications for strategies to raise money?

    Also, what's strength/weakness in oft-heard call that non-profits should become more 'business-like' in perspective and management operations?

    ReplyDelete